Employment after CSRS retirement


Q. I am a 39-year SES employee in CSRS.

What rules are in place for post-retirement employment? As long as I do not work on items related to my agency, can I seek work with a contractor? Also, will I be able to get my full annuity while earning a salary with a contractor? Are there any cautions?

A. You can seek employment with a contractor. However, whether it would be considered a breach of ethics to do so would depend on the extent to which you were using knowledge obtained while a government employee in your new position. You’ll find the guidelines at www.oge.gov/Topics/Post-Government-Employment/Post-Government-Employment.

As long as you are not directly receiving pay from the government, in most cases you would be able to continue to receive your full annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply