Leave accrual credit for active-duty service


Q. I have a retired active reserve associate with 10 years of active-duty service. Would he get leave accrual credit for his 10 years of active duty, or, since he retired, does he receive only leave accrual credit for campaigns?

A. He can find the answer by going to www.opm.gov/StaffingPortal/vetguiide.asp and scrolling to Service Credit for Leave Accrual and Retirement.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. I served May 1978 to June 2000. I retired and i recently started working for the federal government, i turned in my DD 214. so that my leave accrual could be determined by HR. I was advised because i did not physically step on soil during Desert Shield, i was not eligible for additioal leave accrual. I contacted OPM and was told the same thing. I dont believe thAT ANSWER s correct. What can i give to HR TO DIRECT THEM. to find the answer. I maynot be correct in my thinking either. Please help.

    • For military retirees, leave accrual credit is only given for actual service during a war declared by Congress (includes World War II covering the period December 7, 1941, to April 28, 1952) or while participating in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge is authorized. If you received a campaign badge, you’d be entitled to leave accrual credit for that service. If you didn’t, you wouldn’t.

Leave A Reply