RIF and special retirement supplement


Q. I am a FERS employee, age 59, and have over 28 years in the Postal Service. Our facility is going through an accelerated transfer of function to a facility more than 100 miles away. If they cannot offer me a position in my same craft and I am given a notice to separate voluntarily or involuntarily, can I retire and receive an unreduced annuity and the special retirement supplement until age 62? If I retire, should I elect a discontinued service retirement or optional retirement since this is an organizational change involving reduction in force, transfer of function. Could I also receive separation pay?

A. Yes, you can retire on an annuity that wouldn’t be subject to an age penalty and entitled to the special retirement supplement. Since you would be eligible for either an optional or discontinued service retirement, you can decide which you prefer. If you elect optional retirement and later return to work for the federal government, the salary of your new position would be offset by the amount of your annuity. If you elect a DSR, your annuity would be terminated, and you would once more be a regular employee.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply