Withdraw or defer


Q. I have a little over 13 years of FERS service. I am 51 years old. I originally planned on retiring at 56 (MRA+10) but I have recently been contemplating retiring now under a deferred retirement.

1. If I retire now (deferred), will I be able to draw the retirement at 56, or will I have to wait until age 62?

2. If I choose to withdraw my retirement versus defer it, is there a calculator somewhere that can give me a general idea of how much I would get?

A. You can’t retire. What you can do is resign from the government, leave your retirement contributions in the fund and apply for a deferred annuity at age 62. There isn’t any calculator that would tell you what you’d receive if you took a refund of your retirement contributions. What I can tell you is that you’d receive every penny you contributed to the fund plus accrued interest based on variable market rates set by the Department of the Treasury.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply