Deferred annuity


Q. I am a retired military officer with no buyback time. I have six years of federal service and am 58. If I understand the deferred retirement eligibility, I could resign from federal service at this juncture and apply for some level of deferred annuity at age 62, correct?

A. Because you have at least five years of civilian service under FERS, you could resign and apply for deferred annuity at age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply