Government pension offset


Q. I am a CSRS retiree. My husband still works and is under Social Security. When he dies, will I receive anything from his Social Security? I am aware there is something called the government pension offset, but I don’t understand it. Can you explain?

A. Your Social Security spousal or survivor benefit will be reduced by $2 for every $3 you receive in your CSRS annuity. To better understand the government pension offset and the reason it is a matter of law, go to


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply