Military buyback


Q. I have eight years and 10 months of federal time and 20 years of active-duty service for which I’m receiving military retired pay. Can I buy or use a portion of my military time to make up 10 years? Would that increase my retirement substantially? I’m told I would receive retirement going back to age 62 to now — I’m 64.

A. You have a choice. You can continue to receive your military retired pay and continue to work until you have 10 years of civilian service, or you can make a deposit to get credit for your 20 years of active-duty service in determining your total years of civilian service and have them included when computing your annuity. However, at retirement, you’d have to waive your military retired pay.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply