Options for leaving federal work at 48


Q. I am 48 and have 30 years of federal service. I work for the Department of Veterans Affairs and have not heard any discussions about buyouts, early outs, etc. What options do I have for early retirement, buyout, resign, etc.? In my opinion, if someone has worked 30 consecutive years, there should be no minimum retirement age.

A. That may be your opinion, but it isn’t the law. If you want to leave before you meet the age and service requirements to retire, you can do that. You have two choices. You can either stick it out until you reach your minimum retirement age or you can leave now and apply for a deferred annuity when you reach your MRA.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


Leave A Reply