Federal retirement or Social Security eligibility


Q. I worked for the Postal Service from March 1986 until August 1999.

Will I be eligible for Social Security or a pension for that time? Will I need to contact human resources in the state in which I resigned?

A. If you left your FERS contributions in the retirement fund when you left, you’d be eligible for an annuity at age 62. If you took a refund, you wouldn’t. Because you’ve earned at least 40 credits under Social Security, you’ll be eligible for a Social Security benefit at age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply