Special retirement supplement


Q. I plan to retire at my minimum retirement age, 56. I should get the FERS special retirement supplement, although I realize it may be reduced or suspended if my earnings exceed the limit. If I do receive the supplement but at age 62 do not apply for Social Security until the full retirement age of 67, do I still get the higher payment, or does the supplement reduce the amount anyway?

A. The special retirement supplement ends at age 62, regardless of whether you apply for Social Security benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply