Creditable service


Q. My husband has worked for the federal government for the past 15 years after a career at the state level, and is thinking about retiring in a couple of years. When he was in his late teens, he worked summers (1965, 1966, 1967) for the Finance and Accounts Office, U.S. Army, Department of Defense. May he use those summer employment opportunities as credit toward retirement? If yes, whom would he contact to find out what he needs to do to have these credited?

A. If that information isn’t already in his Official Personnel Folder, he’ll have to go to the National Personnel Records Center to retrieve it. Its Web address is Once he has the documentation, he can go to his personnel office, which will be able to tell him whether that time is creditable for retirement purposes.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply