Special retirement supplement


Q. I retired under FERS with over 30 years of service in May 2009 and began receiving the special retirement supplement. The SRS was eliminated when I exceeded the Social Security earnings limit working in the private sector for the next three years. I fully retired in May 2012, after I again exceeded the $15,000 earnings limit for 2012. Do I need to contact Social Security to let them know I am no longer working? If so, is there a form I need to submit? Also, when can I expect my SRS to be reinstated? I won’t be 62 until May 2015.

A. You don’t need to do anything.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply