Switching to CSRS


Q. When I returned to government service in 1995, human resources recommended that I switch to FERS and receive a computation date of Oct. 6, 1989, for my years of service in the 1970s. So many people are saying that CSRS is the better arrangement. I was so glad to have a job and listened to what they recommended. Can I switch back to FERS even though I signed a form of understanding?

A. No.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply