Creditable service


Q. I served in the Army (active duty) from 1982 to 1986 and bought this time back. I have worked for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for six years and with the Army Corps of Engineers for 13 years for a total of 23 years. After my active duty, I served in the Army Reserve for two years (1987-88). Does the time I went on weekend drill for two years and the time I went on annual two-week training count as federal time? Can I buy back this time?

A. Absolutely not. By law reserve time isn’t considered to be creditable civilian service for any purpose. Besides, it wouldn’t make sense. Your weekends are yours to do with what you wish. And because you received your civilian pay during those two-week periods of annual active duty for training, you can’t get double credit for that time.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply