Deferred retirement


Q. I had 32 years in civil service and resigned at the age of 52. I left my retirement in place to file at a latter date. I am 61. When can I file for my CSRS retirement? I was told when I resigned by human resources I had to be 62. Is this true, or can I file and get retirement at age 61?

A. No, you can’t. You’ll have to wait until you are age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply