Law enforcement and non-law enforcement work


Q. My service computation date is Dec. 1, 1990, and I am 45 and a Customs and Border Protection officer. I bought back my military time, and as of 2008, we are considered law enforcement and have a better retirement. I will have 30 years’ government time and be 52 in seven years. Can I retire when I have 30 years in government, or do I have to wait till I am 56 and 9 months? Am I eligible for the Social Security supplement, and if so, when?

A. The key is that you have to have 20 years of law enforcement covered service to retire at age 50 or 25 years at any age. Active-duty service for which you’ve made a deposit doesn’t count toward those years of actual service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply