Recalculating high-3


Q. I am 66 years old and employed by the Peace Corps as staff. I am receiving my CSRS Offset, which is subtracted from my Peace Corps Salary. However, when I  eventually leave the Peace Corps, I was told that after three years of Peace Corps service, I will be eligible to recalculate my top three years’ salary, which are significantly higher than my original retirement CSRS Offset retirement benefit calculation amount. Is that true?

A. What you were told isn’t true. If you worked between one and four years, you would receive a supplemental annuity based solely on that period of service. Only if you worked for five years would you receive a recomputed annuity. To learn how those calculations are done, go to


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply