Pension for working at VA hospital


Q. I worked for the VA hospital in San Francisco for six years as a registered nurse from 1991 to 1997.

I was vested, but how do I find out if I have a pension and how and when I may be able to collect it if I am eligible?

A. If you didn’t get a refund of your retirement contributions when you left, you’d be eligible for a deferred annuity at age 62. You should write to OPM and ask for a copy of Standard Form 1496A. The address is U.S. OPM, Retirement Services and Management Group,P.O. Box45, Boyers, PA 16017-0045. Two months before you reach age 62, send them that completed form.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply