Special retirement supplement calculation


Q. I’m a FERS employee who has had my retirement benefits calculated (58 years old with 33 years of service), and it does not show the special retirement supplement. Where can I find information about eligibility for the supplement? And how is it calculated into my retirement?

A. The special retirement supplement can’t be shown in your retirement benefits calculation because it is based on the amount of Social Security benefit you earned while a FERS employee. That determination can only be made when the Office of Personnel Management matches its files with the Social Security Administration.

However, you can use the following formula to estimate what that would be:

Take the benefit estimate at age 62 provided by the Social Security Administration, divide it by 40, and multiply the product by the number of years you were covered by FERS, rounded to the nearest whole year.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply