Military buyback address


Q. I know there is a military buyback program for people with FERS. I have tried twice in the past two years to obtain this information. I have not received any letter back from DFAS – Indianapolis Center Army Military Pay. I tried again a few weeks ago. Does anyone know if this department is still operational?

A. The one at the following address is:

DFAS – Indianapolis Center

Army Military Pay Operations

Attn: Verifications Center (Estimated Earnings)

8899 E. 56th Street

Indianapolis, IN 46249-0865

Phone: (877) 734-6202

Fax: (217) 275-0123


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. I did ten years in the Army and I was medical retired without the pay all I have is the ID, Tricare and Dental. I only get the VA compensation disability rating pay. I am about to start a GS position job, do I still fall into the estimated earnings military service and can I buy my service?

    • You would get credit for your active duty service in determining the amount of annual leave you can earn in a year. To get credit for that time in your annuity computation, you would have to make a deposit to the civil service retirement system. If you become a federal employee, your agency personnel office can explain how you can find out how much you would owe and arrange for a payment plan, if that’s what you decide to do.

Leave A Reply