Refund of contributions


Q. I have four years and 11 months as a GS employee who has resigned. Will I receive a bulk refund for what I paid into FERS, and do I also receive what the government contributed? I don’t want to defer my FERS till I am 62.

A. You will receive a refund of your contributions plus interest. No one who receives a refund gets any of the government’s contributions. P.S. You didn’t have the option of getting a deferred annuity. To have been eligible for that, you would need to have at least five years of actual FERS service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply