Social Security for CSRS Offset employee with private-sector work history


Q. I am 55. I have put in more than 14 years of federal service as a civilian (11 years from 1980-1991 and three-plus years beginning in 2011 through now). I also put in 23-plus years in private industry paying from Social Security 40 credits. I anticipate working in federal service for an additional seven to 10 years. In general, how will my retirement be calculated to include both the CSRS Offset and Social Security?

A. If you are retired before age 62, at age 62 your CSRS annuity will be reduced by the amount of Social Security benefit you earned while a CSRS Offset employee. If you retire at or after age 62, the reduction will occur on the day you retire. That reduction will be made whether or not you apply for a Social Security benefit at that time.

When you apply for a Social Security benefit, it will be based on your total Social Security-covered work history.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply