Special retirement supplement


Q. I took a job last year. After reporting my earnings to OPM this year, I will not be receiving a FERS Social Security supplement in the future.

What happens to the money? Do I simply lose the funds? Does this increase my future Social Security payments?

A. The special retirement supplement operates like a Social Security benefit. If you have earnings from wages or self-employment that exceed the annual limit, your benefit is reduced — if the excess is small — or eliminated — if the excess is large enough. If your earnings in a following year fall below the limit, then the SRS is restored, as long as you haven’t reached age 62. That’s when the SRS ends and you become eligible for a regular Social Security benefit, which operates under the same rules until you reach full Social Security retirement age.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. I was asked to report my earned income in 2014. I accounted for additional retirements and found later that the retirement income was not supposed to be reported. OPM reduced my annuity from May 2015 to the present date. How do I correct the mistake that I made with OPM for including money that should not have been included?

Leave A Reply