Social Security and re-employment


Q. I am of full retirement age and collect Social Security. Do I still have to contribute to Social Security if I go back to work? If I do pay, will that change my future Social Security collection rate?

A. If you have earnings from wages or self-employment, deductions will be taken from your pay. This will result in an increase in your Social Security benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply