Resigning and getting a refund on military service deposit


Q. I am a civil service employee who is considering going back into private industry. Is it possible to get back the money that I used for a military service deposit?

A. Yes. If you resign from the government, you can get a refund of your military service deposit; however, you would also be required to take a refund of your retirement contributions at the same time. Doing so would void any future entitlement to retirement benefits.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply