Military buyback


Q. I am a GS-12 with 14 years service. I am considering the military buyback for my 20 years on active duty. I understand from reading the posts I would still receive my military retirement check until just prior to my FERS retirement. How do you stop the retirement check? The post just says you contact your service. I called DFAS customer service to ask these questions and they could not answer them. Who can provide real help and assistance?

A. Whoever you talked to at DFAS was an ignoramus. If you want to waive your military retired pay, you should write DFAS at least 60 days before your planned retirement. Send your waiver to:

Defense Finance and Accounting Service

U.S. Military Retirement Pay

P.O. Box 7130

London, KY 40742-7130

You can fax your request to 800-469-6559.

The Office of Personnel Management has suggested the following wording when you request that your retired pay be waived:

“I (full name and military serial number) hereby waive my military retired pay for Civil Service Retirement or Federal Employees Retirement System purposes effective (the day before your annuity begins). I hereby authorize the U.S. Office of Personnel management to withhold from my (CSRS or FERS) annuity any amount of military retired pay granted beyond the effective date of this waiver due to any delay in receiving or processing this request.”


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply