Paying back annual leave payout


Q. Previously, I worked for the federal government and left. When I left, I received money from my leave. I returned to the federal government 10 years later. Is there any way I can pay back the money I received from my leave so that it could change my service computation date?

A. No. That’s because unused annual leave isn’t creditable for determining your length of service. There are only two things you can do with annual leave: use it while you are an employee or receive a lump-sum payment for any amount you have to your credit when you leave government.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply