When to apply for Social Security


Q. I retired from the federal government after 34 years of service under CSRS. Through jobs in private sector, I have enough points to qualify for Social Security. I will be 63 in December. When should I apply for Social Security?

A. You’ll find how and when to do that at www.ssa.gov/planners/about.htm.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply