Military deposit and changing jobs


Q. I made my military deposit several years ago to the Defense Finance Accounting Services as I was (and am) working for the Defense Department. If I take another job, say in Treasury, does anything have to be done to move that deposit somewhere else or is the DFAS deposit applicable for all executive branches?

A. You don’t have to do anything. You’ll get credit for your active-duty service, regardless of where you work.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply