Buying back time


Q. I have 32 years of federal service. My initial employment from 1981 to 1984, was a worker trainee position covered under FICA. In 1984, upon completion of the trainee program, I was converted to CSRS Offset. At the time of the conversion, I was not offered the option to buy back my time. I recently received a retirement printout that included the option to buy that time, but the $2,000 is now nearly $12,000. Is there any way to dispute penalties and interest on an amount I had no idea existed?

A. No.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply