Deferred retirement and unemployment benefits


Q. I’m considering a deferred retirement. I have five years under FERS. Can I get unemployment since my retirement pay will not be paid until I turn 62?

A. The Department of Labor’s Unemployment Insurance programs provide unemployment benefits to eligible workers who become unemployed through no fault of their own and meet certain other eligibility requirements.

You’ll have to check with your state’s employment office to learn if you would qualify. If you are simply resigning from your position, the odds are good that you wouldn’t.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply