Deferred retirement


Q. How can a previous federal employee receive deferred retirement? I have someone who has sent letters to the Office of Personnel Management, along with her last SF-50, more than once in the past two years asking for assistance and never received any replies. Is there a form to fill out and other information?

A. The former employee needs to complete a copy of OPM Form 1496A, available at, and send it to the address on the form.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply