Q. I am a retired Social Security Administration employee since 2001. I would love to come back to work to assist with the disability backlog processing. I am in need of a job part time, temporary, as a contractor, etc. I would also return as a permanent employee. Please let me know if this is possible and how do I go about this.

A. If you are re-employed by the federal government, the salary of your new position would be reduced by the amount of your annuity. Whether your old agency would want to hire you is something only they can answer. You’ll need to check with them.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply