Firefighter and special retirement supplement


Q. I am a firefighter with more than 25 years. I just turned 50 and am looking to retire at the end of the year. Can I still receive the special retirement supplement, or am I leaving too early?

A. Assuming that you are retiring under the special provision for law enforcement officers, firefighters and air traffic controllers, you will be immediately eligible for the special retirement supplement.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply