Disabled adult child survivor annuity


Q. What are the requirements for eligibility for CSRS survivor benefit, and what amount would the adult child receive? What is considered “substantial support”? The adult child does not work and is not entitled to a Social Security benefit on his own work history.

A. A child who was disabled before age 18, is incapable of self-support, and is unmarried is entitled to a survivor benefit. The 2013 rate for one child if there is a surviving parent is $492 per month. If there is no surviving parent, it’s $594 per month. The amount changes year to year.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply