Annual leave


Q. I’m a Defense Department civilian employee. Is it possible to cash out some of my annual leave for cash? If not, is there a written guideline or directive that states this? As a contractor, I was able to cash out some of my annual leave, and that was a nice option.

A. No, you can’t cash out some or all of your annual leave. The only time you can receive a lump-sum payment for your annual leave is if you resign from the government or retire. What you could do in the private sector is irrelevant.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply