Term employment


Q. I was initially hired on a two-year term employment as a GS-12. When that term was up, I was hired into another position as a GS-13, again as a two-year term. My understanding is that terms can only be extended up to four years total. Do these four years include the two years I served as a GS-12, or does the term start over when I was hired into the new GS-13 term position? In other words, could I serve for four years in the GS-13 term position, even though I have already served two years as a GS-12 term?

A. Yes.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply