Break in service


Q. My husband resigned from federal service eight months shy of fulfilling five years of service. If he returns to the federal government and has left his retirement in place, I know that he will begin accruing time toward his five years vestment. However, do his years of service also accrue from where his time left off – four years and four months?

A. Yes.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply