Special retirement supplement


Q. I retired Dec. 31, 2011, at 58½ with 30 years and five months of federal service with the Defense Department. I am receiving a monthly special retirement supplement of $915 after taxes. I realize this will cease when I turn 62, and I will have to file for Social Security. Will I then receive this same amount from Social Security, or will it be my normal expected amount for age 62 (somewhere around $1,400, I believe)?

A. I can’t tell you what you’ll receive. However, it should be more than you are receiving now because it will be based on all your Social Security-covered service, not just the period when you were a FERS employee.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply