6(c) benefits


Q. I was employed in federal law enforcement with 6(c) status for 19 years under FERS.  My agency closed my post of duty and gave me no option other than to move 300 miles or leave the agency. Due to family reasons, I resigned. A few years later, I returned to federal law enforcement, but not with 6(c) status. I now have over 25 years of total federal service. I was informed that if an agency closes a duty location and can only relocate a person outside the commuting area, and a person leaves 6(c) status, those years (6(c)) are still computed. Is that correct?

A. To the best of my knowledge, there is no provision in law or regulations that would qualify you to have any portion of your annuity computed using the enhanced formula for law enforcement officers.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply