Sick leave replacement


Q. I was involved in a motor vehicle accident. I sustained several fractures in my wrist. The accident was the other driver’s fault. Now that I am using sick leave, am I going to be reimbursed? Can I replace my lost sick leave or buy it back?

A. The government can neither reimburse you nor can you make a deposit to get credit for the hours of sick leave you used. You may want to consult an attorney to find out if you are entitled to any settlement from the driver who caused the accident.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply