Military buyback


Q. I have three years of active-duty time while in the Army Reserve and I am in the process of having the Office of Personnel Management and Defense Finance and Accounting Services verify that time for retirement purpose. I became employed as a DA civilian in June 2005. My plan is to buy back the three years of active-duty time and have that time apply toward my civilian retirement. When I reach age 60, I am eligible to draw my Army Reserve retirement pay (based on my total points). When I retire as a DA civilian, will I lose my Reserve retirement pay or will I be eligible to receive both my Reserve retirement pay and my DA Civilian retirement pay (FERS)? Or will I have to give up my Army Reserve pay to receive my DA Civilian retirement pay?

A. You’ll be able to receive both.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply