40-year pin


Q. I joined the Delayed Entry Program (Army Reserve) on March 13, 1973. I entered active duty on Aug. 21, 1973. I have not had a break in service since then. I went to work for the civil service while on transition leave in May 2003. What date am I eligible for my 40-year pin?

A. If you are referring to a pin for 40 years of civilian service, you won’t be eligible for one until May of 2043. Your active-duty service doesn’t count, even if you were to make a deposit to get credit for it.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply