SRS eligibility


Q. My agency has offered me a Voluntary Early Retirement Authority/Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay for at least the last five years. I have 10½ years active duty Army. I have 27 years as a government employee. I turn 55 in December. I am under FERS. My agency will offer me VERA/VSIP at the end of this year. I have not bought my military time yet, but I will do so. Will I be eligible for Social Security supplement or FERS annuity supplement? Is there a difference?

A. What you are referring to is generally called the special retirement supplement. Because you meet the age and service requirements to retire under a VERA, you’d be entitled to the SRS when you reach your minimum retirement age, which is 56.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply