Special retirement supplement


Q. I am a FERS employee planning to retire in 20 months at age 60 with 28 years of service. I understand that I will be entitled to the special retirement supplement which is based on the amount of Social Security money I would be receiving at age 62 divided by 40 and then multiplied by 28. I also understand the supplement check will be coming from the Office of Personnel Management. Once I turn 62, would my Social Security check, now coming from Social Security, be the total amount I would be entitled to at age 62? Or would it stay frozen at whatever amount I start collecting at age 60?

A. The special retirement supplement will be based solely on your actual FERS service when you retire. Your Social Security benefit will be based on all your Social Security covered employment, with the amount determined when you apply for that benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply