Buyout eligibility


Q. I am 63 years old and have worked for Department of Labor for 14.9 years. My department is offering buyouts, but I can’t seem to find anyone who can tell me if I’m eligible. Is anyone with less than 20 years ever eligible?

A. To be eligible to receive a buyout, you only need to be serving in an appointment without time limit; be currently employed by the executive branch of the federal government for a continuous period of at least three years; be serving in a position covered by an agency Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay plan (i.e., in the specific geographic area, organization, series and grade); apply for and receive approval for a VSIP from the agency making the VSIP offer; and not be included in any of the ineligibility categories, none of which would apply to you.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply