Military buyback


Q. I have been employed in civil service for almost three years now. I am still in the process of paying for my military buyback. I had signed up for the funds to be taken directly from my pay. It took almost a year to receive all of the forms for starting my buyback. I am about to reach the three-year point when interest will be applied to the remaining balance. I am buying back more than 11 years of military service, so it is a significant amount, and I would like to send in a check to cover most of the amount I have left. I cannot locate a phone number or email or address to contact someone about this. I would like to have the balance paid before interest starts accruing. Could you help with this?

A. Deposits for active-duty service are made through your agency. You’ll need to check with your payroll office to find out where the check should be sent.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply