Disability retirement application


Q. I am a federal employee who has filed a disability retirement over a year ago. I have not worked during this time and have not heard anything from the Veterans Affairs medical center about my retirement. What do I need to do? This VAMC is not helpful.

A. There wouldn’t be any reason for you to hear from VAMC. The only organization that could tell you the status of your application is the Office of Personnel Management, because they are the ones that have the authority to approve a retirement application. Call their Retirement Information Office at 888-767-6738 or 724-794-2005, and ask the benefits specialist to try to find out what’s happened to your application.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. Patricia Hudlow on

    i have not been able to reach anyone concerning the status of my retirement application for csrs retirement. o have called both numbers and one number 888-767-6738 is constantly busy. i am exhasperated in trying to get in touch with someone about my retirement

    • Call your former agency’s personnel office and ask them when they sent your application to OPM. Only after OPM receives a file can it send an applicant a notice of receipt, usually within 10 days to two weeks. While it’s natural to want to find out the status of your application, there is no system in place to do that. However, if your agency has sent your file to OPM and several weeks have gone by without your being notified, calling OPM outside of peak periods is a good idea. If you can’t get through, you can always write OPM’s director and ask for a status report on your application.

Leave A Reply