MRA+10 and postponing annuity


Q. I plan on separating from the government Jan. 10, 2015, at 56 years, six months and nine days old and postpone getting my annuity until June or July 2018, when I will be 60 years old. My service computation date is May 6, 1990.

To accomplish this, my understanding was to submit an SF-52 with Section E filled out to resign and then, approximately 90 days before I wanted my annuity to start, submit a RI92-19 to apply.

But I keep reading where I can retire under MRA+10 on a regular retirement form, and there is a way to postpone receiving my annuity that way. What is the procedure?

A. You’ll find the instructions for retiring and postponing the receipt of your annuity in the MRA+10 Retirement chapter of the Office of Personnel Management’s CSRS and FERS Handbook for Personnel and Payroll Offices. Just go to


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply