Special retirement supplement


Q. As a FERS employee, when I turn 56, will my special retirement supplement be reduced based on my retirement income? Or is that only reduced based on if you work somewhere else earning wages? My understanding is that, when I retire at 56 I will get the following for my retirement:

1. Years of service percentage based on salary — for example, 30 years of service at a $100,000 salary will get $30,000 a year.

2. Annuity from Thrift Savings Plan if I decide to take annuity.

3. Special retirement supplement until I turn 62.

Do the above three count as wages that could reduce my SRS?

A. The Social Security earnings limit is based solely on earnings from wages or self-employment, not other sources of income.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply